The Society of Obstetricians & Gynecologists of Pakistan (SOGP) is the oldest specialist professional body. Its foundations were laid in March 1957 when Prof.H.Dewattleville, President of International Federation of Gynecology & Obstetrics (FIGO) visited Karachi. He addressed the students, the staff members of the Dow Medical College, Karachi and member of the Pakistan Medical Council. He stressed the importance of having a Society of Obstetricians & Gynecologists of Pakistan. Later in the same year MBBS Examination, there was a meeting to discuss the formation of the Society.
This was attended by 15 Gynecologists and Obstetricians including Professors from all over Pakistan.
The vision of SOGP is to promote excellence in practice of obstetrics and gynecology and to improve health and rights of women and newborns of Pakistan.
The Mission Statement
The mission of SOGP is to provide evidence-based continuous medical education to obstetricians and gynecologists and to improve women and newborns’ health through education, service provision, advocacy, research, and leadership.
The core values of SOGP are:
Dear Colleagues! In the name of ALLAH the most gracious and merciful.....Read More
This new section provides up-to-date, expert guidance on family planning......,Read More
Information regarding updates of event, seminars, conferences......Read More
Images of our diffrent activities like Events, Seminars, Workshops ......Read More
There has been a long lasting need for National Guidelines of Pakistan in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Thus far Guidelines of other countries, modified to our resources constrained circumstances, by individual caretakers or institutions, have been the mainstay of management practices, but there has been no uniformity in the application of these policies.
The formulation of the SOGP robust, evidence based Guidelines adapted for Pakistan from Green to RCOG Guidelines, through consensus and literature review is a great milestone, indeed. The practical step forwards taken by Professor Lubna Hassan, the previous President SOGP, by the formation of Guideline Committee of SOGP was the crux of the matter. (Continue)
This committee; comprised of learned members with a capable Chairperson of International repute, Professor Rubina Hussain; has taken the assigned project to its culmination, with an aim of curtailment in maternal and perinatal morbidity and mortality in Pakistan.
The Editorial Board of the Journal of The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists is only too pleased to publish these Guidelines in the ensuring issue of the Journal.
Local chapters of SOGP are established to improve its working, broaden its base and to increase linkages with all the Gynecologists. These chapters will work according to the TORs framed for them, under the guidance of their Patron and Chairpersons and in collaboration with Vice presidents of their province and all other local chapters of that province.
1. Coordinating with all the Doctors practicing OBGYN in your vicinity and updating them about SOGP.
2. Registering them with SOGP even if they are MBBS or Diploma holders.
3. Including good clinical practice protocols in your clinical practices.
4. Including Cervical and Breast Cancer Screening in your clinical Practices.
5. Implementation of SOGP guidelines and Protocols.
6. Sending proposals for research to the Central Office.
7. Creating Public awareness by celebration of all National and International days.( see SOGP calendar on our website)
8. Organizing Seminars and arranging workshops as per rules to improve the skills of our members and raising the standards of OB GYN practices in Pakistan.
9. Any other matter added later on according to the circumstances.
10. No local chapter is allowed to open an account in the name of SOGP or SOGP Local Chapter. All financial matters should be dealt by main office directly.
12. It was decided unanimously that SOGP Chapters cannot hold an International Conference
13. No SOGP Chapter can organize a conference without first seeking official written permission from the main SOGP Secretariat, Karachi
14. The Chapter holding a conference will not open a separate Conference Bank Account but all such matters should be dealt through the main account for better financial audit and transparency.
15. The Decorum of SOGP Session in the Chapter Conferences must be maintained.
16. SOGP panel Discussions will be moderated by SOGP Office Bearers the Certificates of Pre-Conference workshops will have four signatures including those of the President SOGP, Vice President SOGP of the Province, Chairperson of Local Chapter, and the workshop facilitator.
Local Chapters should follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)